Locked out of Windows server and forgot domain password? I know the mood when you are trying your best to log into server computer but nothing works. So now follow my introduction to unlock Window server domain password effectively.
When we encounter this problem, the important thing we have to do is try to understand and accept some ways you probably never know. A lot of methods maybe have to be proved right after attempt. But the ways listed below have been confirm that they can help us.
- Installation Disk and Command Prompt
- Third-Party Windows Password Recovery Tool
- Password Reset Disk
Way 1: Unlock Windows Server with Installation Disk
What you need: a copy of installation disk
Main and simple steps:
- Replace Utilman.exe
- Reset Windows server domain password with CMD
Step 1: Replace Utilman.exe
- Boot off the Windows disk and select the “Repair your computer” option from the lower left-hand corner.
- Follow through until you get to the option to open the Command Prompt, which you’ll want to select.
- First you’ll want to type in the
following command to back up the utilman.exe file:
MOVE C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe.bak
- Now you will need to copy cmd.exe and
rename it Utilman.exe:
COPY C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe
- Now you can go ahead and reboot your machine. When it’s done booting up again and you are at the Logon screen click on the Ease of access icon.
Step 2: Reset Windows server password
Open a command prompt to change the password
Type: net user administrator *
Once you press Enter you will asked to set a new password and then confirm it, when entering your new password, don’t worry if you can’t see them as you type, they are invisible, they are however being remembered.
Tip: Once you’re logged in again don’t forget to delete Utilman.exe and then rename Utilman.exe.bak back to plain old Utilman.exe.
Way 2: Unlock Server Computer with Third-Party Windows Password Recovery Tool
So many Windows password recovery tools are available on Internet; choose one effective from them isn’t an easy thing. For convenience, I recommend you Windows Password Genius Advanced or Raid. Select advanced or raid version based on server type.
What you need to prepare:
- Bootable CD/DVD or USB drive
- Workable computer installed with any Windows OS
- Windows Password Genius Advanced or Raid
- Create a password reset disk with third-party tool
- Reset Windows server domain password
Step 1: Create a password reset disk with third-party tool
- First, install Windows Password Genius on workable computer and run it.
- Second, insert bootable drive, such as USB drive into computer.
- Third, Click “Begin burning” to start password reset disk burning.
Step 2: Reset Windows server domain password with disk
- First, plug reset disk into locked server, and boot it from USB.
- Second, select Windows system and user account.
For example, if your server is installed with different kinds of OS, choose the one system you couldn’t access.
- Third, click “Reset Password” to set forgotten
password as “iSunshare@2012”.
Moreover, Add User gives you chance to create a new account.
Maybe you observe that the first step of second way is to create a password reset disk. Are you thinking that, if I have reset disk, doesn’t third-party tool needed? It is.
Even though both are password reset disk, the process of unlock Windows server is different. Suppose that, password reset disk is created when server computer is accessible, you only have to click link “Reset Password” on logon screen after you type wrong domain password.
On range of application, they are different too. This kind of reset disk created on your computer just only works for your computer. However, the reset disk burned by third-party tool can be used to reset administrator and standard user password on any kinds of Windows systems.