No need to be nervous if you forgot Windows password. According to the Windows operational system your computer installed with, there are several ways for Windows password recovery. So there are many things you can do on Windows 8/7/Vista password reset.
What to do if you forgot Windows 8/RT password?
If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
- If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
- If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Microsoft account sign-in webpage.
- Have someone with an administrator account on the PC sign in and change your password for you. (If you have an administrator account and remember the administrator password, you can do this yourself.)
- If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.
If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in:
- If you have Windows 8, you'll need to reinstall Windows.
- If you have Windows RT, you'll need to contact your PC manufacturer.
For more info about changing or resetting passwords, see Change your password.
Besides, for Windows 8, if you have create a PIN code for Windows logon, when you couldn’t login Windows 8 with local account, you can try to sign into Windows 8 with PIN – four characters. And if you have a Microsoft account, you can change logon Windows with Microsoft account. When you access Windows 8 successfully, reset forgotten Windows 8 password.
How to do if you forgot Windows 7/Vista/XP login password?
- To use your password reset disk to reset your password
- To use an administrator account to reset your password
- To use a program to reset forgotten password and add new account
1. Reset Forgotten Windows password with Reset Disk
- If you have typed the wrong password, you'll receive a message that says your user name or password is incorrect. When this message appears, click OK.
- Click Reset password, and then follow the instructions.
About how to reset Windows password without disk?
2. Recover Windows password with an Administrator Account
Note: If you use an administrator account to reset the password, you will permanently lose access to any e‑mail messages or encrypted files that are on that account.
- Log on to the administrator account that you will use to reset the forgotten password.
- Open Local Users and Groups by clicking the Start button, typing lusrmgr.msc into the Search box, and then pressing ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Double-click Local Users and Groups, and then click Users.
- Right-click the account that you need to reset the password for, and then click Set Password.
- Type and confirm the new password.
Note: These steps cannot be completed on Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium.
3. Reset Forgotten Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP Password by Program
- Download an effective Windows password recovery software, such as Windows Password Genius.
- Install it on your accessible Windows computer/Mac/Android phone and run it.
- Insert CD/USB into the computer and begin to create a burning disk by Windows password recovery program.
- Plug burning disk into locked computer, boot it from CD/USB.
- choose the account you wish to reset its password and click “Reset Password”, or click Add User to create new account.
Reference of Articles: